The 16th annual Japanese language contest will be hosted by the Olathe School District this year, in association with the Heart of America Japan-America Society. The contest is sponsored by the Consul General of Japan at Chicago, the Heartland JET Alumni Association, and the University of Kansas East Asian Studies Program. The contest is scheduled for Saturday March 1, 2014 at Olathe North High School, 600 E Prairie Rd, Olathe, KS 66061.
The contest is continuing to provide this opportunity for friendly competition and networking for local Japanese students. Japanese students can showcase their Japanese language skills as well as meet students of Japanese and professionals connected to the Japanese community from across the region. Some of the events have changed this year. The contest is excited to offer the following events to students:
1. Tanka Contest-Mail in event only; to be sent in with registration.
2. Shodou (calligraphy) Contest-Mail in event only; to be sent in with registration.
3. Kana Bee-1st year Japanese High School students or 1st semester College students only.
4. Kanji Bees (Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced)-High school and college divisions.
5. Quiz Bowl (Geography, History, and Culture) -Two teams minimum to hold.
6. Talent Show-Participation awards (new format-please read guidelines)
Registration for the language contest should be postmarked no later than February 18th
If you know of any other teachers of individual Japanese language students who might be interested in any of the contest events, please pass this information along to them, or, have them email Carolyn Goodrick at Olathe Northwest High School for more information: email@example.com